Thursday, February 24, 2011

Root Crops

Did you know onions are to be planted on the "dark of the moon"?  Well, Monday is the day and my sets are ready to go!  Can't wait for sweet onion slices on big fat hamburgers!

Potatoes, red and russet, will go in the ground on in Monday also.  It will be a busy day!  Those little eyes are "scabbing"  over right now.  The scabbing process helps ensure healthy eyes that don't rot once in the ground.  Potatoes take around 90 to 120 days to mature so I will probably get in two crops this year.  I just love these early springs, but I am not foolish enough to start above ground crops as yet.  I do believe we might have a frost or two before this winter is officially over.

I did get my greens planted last week and can already taste those fresh turnip greens and a large slice of cornbread, but the pot lickker is this best part.

Until next time  . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: