Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring Cleaning

I am not a housekeeper!  I hate house work - vacuuming, dusting, mopping, scrubbing.  So when it is time for spring cleaning I do a thorough job hoping it will last till I just can't take it anymore and do a little more. 

A fireplace produces so much more dust and grime than the heater and the grime is hard to remove from windows and picture glass.  I use dishwasher liquid for cutting the greasy grime on glass.  A quarter cup in  a gallon of water will clean most anything without streaking.  To disinfect as you clean add a quarter cup of bleach to the water in addition to the dishwasher liquid.  I haven't found a brand yet that causes any chemical reaction and your glass will be clean and disinfected.  This works on walls also, but make sure the paint will withstand the wash. 

I have taken out the drawers of all the cabinets and cleaned.  My aunt used to clean, then seal the drawers with a quick coat of varnish - a friend also does this as part of her spring routine.  I am not that dedicated, but I do not like dust, dirt and grime.  A Q-tip for the corners of picture glass gets the little dust motes that try to run and hide.  Q-tips are also good for cleaning the crevices of picture frames and corners of drawers and cabinets.

A large mounted white tail dominates the fireplace.  His ears gather dust as does his neck and antlers.  I am not aware of any solution to clean the ole boy, so he just gets a good dusting.  If any of you know of a way to clean him without damaging his pelt, I would love to hear from you. 

Break time is over, so back to work I go.  Enjoyed the visit and until next time . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: