Friday, April 15, 2011

Two weeks ago a very thoughtful neighbor gifted me with 20 biddies.  It was an unsolicited and  wonderful surprise from this man with a heart of gold.

Several weeks ago a neighbors dog killed ten of my laying hens and a rooster.  These are pets that I raised and nurtured for over a year.  The dog's owner offered to pay me for the hens, but having no idea the value to put on my friends, I told them no.  I replaced my Rhode Island Reds with a few Barred Rock hens that were already laying. 

My gift arrived.  A mixture of Rhode Island Red, Red Sexlink and Big Reds, these little biddies became my focus of attention for days.  I wanted to make sure they were safe, warm and well fed and watered.  The little ones settled in quickly.  On Saturday I went out to check their feed and water only to find a 6 foot black snake had eaten seven of my little ones.  My heart fell.  Sunday was a repeat only this four footer only ate three before being caught.  I still have 10 little ones which during the week have relaxed once again and are happily running up and down their pen.  In a couple of weeks they will be too big for the snakes to swallow and I can stop worrying so much.

I think this may have been the reason my egg production dropped from four a day to two a day.  I have some well fed snakes in my area.  The coyote pups have been born also.  I hear their cries late at night and in the early morning in the woods behind the barn.  I am waiting on them also as I know they will be coming my way in search of food. 

I don't think I shall get too attached to the biddies or the new chickens.  Mother Nature is not kind to my heart.  And yes, I know all about the survival instinct, but I still don't like it.

Until next time . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: