Saturday, September 13, 2014

Back to Work

I have two pieces I am refinishing - a chest of drawers and a bookcase.  The bookcase was built by my maternal grandfather.  I was my grandfather's shadow back in the old days and learned much by his side in his small carpenter's shop.  The big thing in finishes at the time was "antiquing" which really amounted to multiple coats of paint with the top coat swirled or wiped to expose the underlying color(s) much like distressing and exposing today.  People want things to look old, but do not want it to be old.

I have chosen a CLARK + KENSINGTON paint carried by Ace Hardware.  I have not used this brand before so I proceed with caution.  Much prep work is needed as this bookcase was built about 55 years ago, however the structure is very sound and the piece is very sturdy.  I am sure I can proceed after roughing the surface so I am sure the new paint will adhere.  I have yet to see the actual wood, but the weight of the book case indicates it is a heavier hardwood.  I prefer the natural wood on most furniture, so I am not even going to try to strip to the base.  

The chest is for my daughter in law and is in good shape.  She was a dark natural finish and I am almost ready to seal and stain.  A few repairs to the chest, but it also is a sturdy piece.  I am using MIN WAX Stain and Sealer in a walnut.

I bought myself a new palm sander by Skil which makes the work go faster and is much easier on the hands and arms.  I have given it a real workout on the chest, but I have found that I still do better with sanding blocks on the joints and small spaces.

I am excited to get back at it.  The days are not so extraordinarily hot and humid which makes it pleasant to work outside.  So many projects running through my head, so I should stay quite busy for the weeks to come.

Thanks for stopping by and remember to
Keep Smilin!

Belle

No comments: