Wednesday, August 5, 2009

In A Funk

Yeah, I am in a funk. My thoughts are a bit scrambled right now, and my energy level is at a 5 on a scale of 1-10. I think maybe the ups and downs of the heat are the major cause.

The garden is like most mid summer gardens - just growing - not anything spectacular, but still producing squash, cabbage, okra, tomatoes, and peppers. Cucumbers are not doing a thing and I blame that on the erratic rain fall. The ground is drying out too much between the showers and the sun is hot as hades. I am waiting till late afternoon to turn some dirt for the late summer greens and decide on a spot for the potatoes. It is time to get them in the ground but as we have a real late frost, it will be okay.

It is really sad that we let the joy of the first shoots breaking the ground dissipate and the garden flourishes and we become apathetic in the harvest and maintenance. Melancholy, that is what I am today. Yesterday was a day of joy and today - melancholy.

The summer flowers are beautiful and all but the weakest are blooming with gusto. I can hardly see my gazing ball as the cosmos has grown so tall and thick as to shade it from view. The sunflowers are reaching for the hot sun and getting taller and taller. I know it is not the time, but I moved 2 elephant ears to a spot in my backyard garden. They had almost died from lack of sun and are not a deep green and putting out new growth. Right time or not, that was a good move.

I dropped by a local store the other day and they have dropped the prices on all seeds to a dime a pack. Good time to pick up some, put in the freezer and have ready for that early garden next spring. There were lots of different varieties of lettuce which can be container grown throughout the winter. I have a nice section of porch on the north side of the house that is protected from blowing winds and rain. It is the perfect place to winter the plants (covered of course) and to keep some nice winter container crops. Doesn't get any sun though so I have to move them during the week to the east side to keep them going.

On another subject-
My grandchildren are growing up and developing wonderful personalities. I have had such a pleasant summer with my grandchildren. The oldest girl ask me on Saturday why they were called grand children. My reply - because you are so great! On her last visit, she kissed the top on my head and told me I was beautiful - and everyone wonders why I love having them around! Can't wait till they come back!

Belle

1 comment:

Jenjie said...

She is a naturally sweet and wonderfully child with a loving personality. We are blessed with all those children.