Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chicken update II

I tried to give you a break on my chicken tales, but can't hold back any longer!

Olive green eggs arrived last week (I may have mentioned these) and today, dear hubby came flying in the house with 2 olive green eggs, found not in the coop, but in holes in the dirt of the floor of the barn.  Chickens, as most poultry do, love to dust their feathers in the dirt.  The Black Giants (that is the way they were sold) have both started laying and the eggs are so unusual on the outside, but same old egg on the inside.  They are as large as the Rhode Island Red's eggs, but have a beautiful olive green tint. 

Bless their hearts, they look just like a baby buzzard, but if you can get by their looks they are really sweet birds.  As the days are getting shorter the number of eggs will get less.  Chickens lay according to their light intake and I don't keep a light on my birds, so when the days get shorter and they get less light, I get less eggs.

I was a little late the other day in feeding the birds and the old rooster had already gone to his roosting stick.  As I poured the laying mash in the feeder, he swooped down on me.  Luckily I was anticipating his ire and quickly twisted to the side thereby foiling his attempts to do me in.  He is getting more ornery with age, but still knows where his food comes from.  He just has to try me once in a while.

My little yard birds which are almost as big as their mom, are running around on their own now.  They have learned they can venture away from mom and still be safe, but if cornered will squawk and fly right to her side.  They are so fun to watch. 

I am not getting much of that yard work done, but it is still on my "to do" list.  The more I have on my list, the less I seem to get accomplished, but so is life.  The harder we peddle the steeper the hill.

Until next time  . . .

Happy Reading!
Belle

No comments: