Friday, June 19, 2009

Father's Day

This Sunday is celebrated as Father's Day around the globe. I am blessed that my father is still alive. Many fathers have already passed away and still other's have never known their father.

I can't tell you what makes a good father. I can tell you that I love my father, but I don't always like him.

I always had food to eat and clean clothes to wear. I was taken with my father to church every Sunday and when I was grown he scoured the neighborhood and found other children that he could take to church (their fathers didn't take them). My father took us to the beach every summer. I always felt safe and secure when I laid down to sleep at night - I felt protected.

My Dad taught me to care for animals, plant a garden, the fragrance of a beautiful rose, the beauty of a dahlia, how to milk a cow, to barbecue a pig, the love of camellias, to appreciate the softness of moss under a big oak tree, the natural fun of a creek, to learn the history of our surroundings, to change a tire and check the oil in a car, to savor the flavor of the first peach of the season, the wonderful sensation of freshly turned dirt between bare toes, to acknowledge the past but no to dwell on it, the sweetness of a watermelon, how to drive a tractor, that the written word is longer lasting than a quick phone call, to appreciate what is given to you, how important time is, to take advantage of opportunities - they may not come again, not to judge what we don't understand, to read my Bible, you can't have enough friends, and so much more.

Yes, I love my Dad and wish for him to have a day of anything his heart desires. My father is afraid of losing his ability to make decisions for himself. But refusing to take his medicine, get his rest, do his therapy, and acts in an irresponsible manner is not a sign of independence but a sure sign of bad judgement. Get it right Dad, I would like to have you here next year for Father's Day also.

Happy Father's Day to all you men out there who have given in a positive and uplifting way of you time, energy and love to someone.

No comments: