Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Hummingbirds

I never knew how demanding these little creatures ccould be. Fascinating and really fast, hummingbirds can empty a feeder in less than 8 hours. I now know I have more than 2 or 3 of the little ones. I have been watching the little devils for a couple of months and I have seen at least 12 birds and probably more. If I allow the feeder to empty, they (usually 2 or 3) will hover about 4 inches from the feeder until I remove and refill.

I sit on the porch in the early morning, and watch them dive bomb each other to get to the feeder, but never have I seen more than 2 at a time feeding. They fight in the air, around my head and literally knock each other off the feeder. Whether playing, performing a mating ritual or just plain mean, it is a special treat to watch them.

We have identified some of them as Rufous, Ruby Throated and Broad-tailed. All of the birds are beautiful and each have their own personality. I think the Ruby Throated is the most aggressive, however all seem to hold their own.

I haven't located a nest as yet, but I noticed a small nest in the joint of the smoke bush yesterday. Don't know if it belongs to the hummingbirds or some other visitor to our yard. We have several bird feeders for our feathered friends, but only one hummingbird feeder that hangs from the eave of the porch. My husband really has to stay alert to keep from literally getting in the middle of their fights while sitting in his rocker.

Yesterday, I decided to move the feeder. We have had the ceiling fan on the porch running on high. I noticed we haven't see the hummingbirds as much this week and I haven't had to refill the feeder everyday. Thinking the ceiling fan was messing with their air balance, I thought the feeder may do better on the arbor. Big mistake!
I hung a plant in place of the feeder. It didn't take long before the hummingbirds were attacking the holder and the plant. They were really showing their aggressive and possessive personalities. After thirty minutes of their chirping, hovering, and pecking, I moved the feeder back in its original spot. What can I say, I guess I am just easy.

I know chickens will not feed or drink while hatching eggs, I wondered if maybe the hummingbirds had the same tendancies. Well, they are still with me anyway and I will definitely leave their feeder where it is for now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read this to my mother-in-law, who is a hummingbird enthusiast--she loved it!

Jenjie said...

Hung a hummingbird feeder about 2 weeks ago after spotting one flitting around my lambs ear blooms. I haven't had a single visitor to my feeder... could they also be nesting? Will they come later in the year or how long will it take them to find it. Maybe it is too high up.

belle said...

Give them time, the feeder is now competing with all your beautiful flowers - but yes they could be nesting.