Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Put A Rock Down

I don't have much luck rooting cuttings from plants, but I can "put a rock down."

I was talking to a friend recently about azaleas. She loves them and has many varieties. She can name them all and give you all the properties of each one. I have a small lavender frilly leaf azalea and wanted to try to root one. Hoping she wouldn't say take a cutting (I had have tried that many times), I asked if she knew the best way to root azaleas. Her reply was to "put a rock down." When she asked why, I describe the azalea and her reply was "put me a rock down too."

This has been my method for years and the only way I can get a healthy plant. I know rooting hormone is suppose to work and keeping the moisture and humidity high, but I still don't have the knack. I have tried old growth and new growth, with and without the rooting hormone. I have been told the gel is better than the powder.

Right now I have 2 shoots from a Smoke Bush, 6 cuttings from a Hydrangea, 4 cuttings from an Althea, and 3 cuttings from a Snow Ball in process. I must admit, they all look better than any I have tried before. The soil is moist, but not soggy, they are covered with plastic tents with good humidity , and they all still have their color (except the Snow Ball which is turning). They have been in process for a week, so I am getting hopeful.

I have tried for years to root camellias and the little darlings just shrivel up and die right in the pot. They surely need a lot of help! Since I don't have a camellia in my menagerie, I can't "put a rock down" on that one.

I would love some input on rooting an dwarf oriental maple with the split leaf. I have one I would like to move. It is about six years old and very full. I am afraid if the move may kill it. I want to root some cuttings before trying the move.

I am off for now. If anyone has any suggestions, please give it up. Until next time,

Belle


No comments: