Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Another Stroll Down Memory Lane

Well, Thanksgiving is well behind us now and preparation is ongoing for the celebration of Christ's birth.  Some days it just makes me tired and some days I approach it all with a joyful and peaceful heart.  I believe rest is the key.  The temperatures are just now getting uncomfortable and the days are definitely shorter.  Many days I just want to sleep - remaining under the warm covers and not venturing out.  But that doesn't have anything to do with the season but with the changes my old body no longer adjust too so quickly or well.

I had such a surprise on Friday when a friend showed up.  This isn't an ordinary, run of the mill friend.  This was the one person I felt attached to, completely trusted and thoroughly enjoyed her company during my school years.  She was in my wedding in September of 1969 and after that day I never saw her again until Friday.  I can't imagine a more memorable day.  I have always believed that you could tell a true friend in the reuniting.  They were no dead spots - we were laughing as she exited her vehicle and we chattered like we had never been apart.  Easy, comfortable, trying desperately to catch up on all the years and yet knowing we both have been down paths we won't share yet.  I say yet because there is so much surface stuff to gather and share.  It pleased me greatly that my friend found her soul mate early on and has had a happy life. I can't wait to get together again and learn more about her children and family.



I learned that I wasn't the only person that was lost in a world of confusion and insecurity when school let out for the last time.  I didn't realize that I would lose touch so quickly with those so dear to me and that we would all move on in such a hurried manner.  In my older years, I have found that I have plenty of time to locate and reunite with those that I have missed so much. 

Hubby and I have really enjoyed our shopping trips this season.  Never one to enjoy crowds, we have managed to have a little fun this year with our shopping experience.  Both of us are "people watchers" and we have certainly enjoyed the shows put on for us by the other shoppers.  I made my first trip to the Bass Pro Shop in Macon recently.  Of course hubby made his first visit at their grand opening, but I bypassed that trips and the many he has made since then.  Of course, wouldn't you know, all it took was a "I want" from my grandson to get me to trek right down there and get the item.  A beautiful store, it is great for just browsing, but they also had some great bargains over the weekend. 

Then on to the Bass Road Mall and a wonderful visit to Jo Ann's.  I could spend a whole day in this treasure.  A quick visit to Dick's Sporting Goods - prices on the high side - and then to Sticky Fingers for a tasty smoked turkey club sandwich.  Barnes and Nobles was our Waterloo and we spent a couple of hours browsing the books and games.  Found some deals on several books to add to our Stuart Woods' collection.  I am missing only three now so it is close to complete.  I am thinking I need to make a return trip this weekend as I didn't get close to Dillard's or the other shops.  I am so glad the regular football season is past and hubby is not glued to the television on Saturday afternoons.  I have a partner in my shopping experience and a driver to get me where I want to go without me having to fool with the traffic.

Looking forward to all the get togethers with friends and family and already some are overlapping and I know I won't make it to all of them, but you can bet I will hit as many as possible.  Dinner has to be made, so until next time . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: