Thursday, December 30, 2010

Year 2010

A beautiful year, filled with meeting new friends, reuniting with old friends, fun visits with family, and yes, I must include the loss of so many friends.  The year started cold and drab as each new year does and progressed to the joyous spring with the warm breezes teasing the blossoms on the trees and shrubs.  Each season brought change not only to the landscapes but to my heart.  Never one to shun a heated discussion, I have found I loath the negativity, anger, and hate found in so many.  I wonder what life has served them to cause such feelings to linger and fester.  There is so much in life to bring joy and peace if we only search for it and brush the harsher feeling aside.

Spring brought the loss of hubby's father.  Sick for over a year with strange rash on his arms but no diagnosis of the cause, he succumbed to lung cancer in a matter of days after finally being diagnosed.  

Spring also bought with it the reuniting of friends in preparation of a class reunion.  It was a happy time for me to see the many friends and acquaintances of my youth.  One weekend was not enough time, but we made the best of the time provided and many have continued to keep in touch.  So many have died through the years and they were memorialized through the artistry of a fellow classmate. 

Fun in the sun was the theme of our Summer and it was a time of relaxing and visiting with family and friends and enjoying the pool through the hot summer days.  Wonderful food on the grill and homemade ice cream seem to top the charts on the weekends. The grandchildren are growing by leaps and bounds and changing from one visit to the next.  It is a wonder to listen to their conversation and know their minds are growing as quickly as their bodies. 

My garden flourished in the early days of summer, but succumbed to the heat and lack of rain quickly.  Mulching more this winter for a better chance of survival during the hot dry days for the upcoming year.   The asparagus is beautiful and since this is my first try I was very pleased with the results.  None to gather this season, but come spring I should have a bumper crop.  Now is the time to get my onions in, so I have to get busy with those. 

Fall brought on a most memorable reunion with my best friend from school.  One short visit of a couple of hours was not enough, but we are staying in touch and plan to revisit soon.  It is such a comfort to reunite with someone that meant so much to me for so many years.  It is strange to think that we were ever separated to begin with, but that is another story.  Leave it to say that we are reunited and looking forward to catching up.

Mid afternoon the yard chickens come in for a bit of scratch feed.  Week before last I rounded the corner of the barn and there was a beautiful tom turkey.  Light gray and cream with a rose colored waddle, he gobbled at me and headed for the scratch I had put out for the hens.  I watched for a minute and decided there was not enough to go around - he was eating like crazy.  I spread another batch and he proceeded to follow me in my rounds to gather eggs and water the barn hens.  I called hubby to the barn and it was decided he was a tame bird and hubby proceeded to visit the neighbors to locate the owner.  No one claimed the bird and he seems to have made a home here.  Free to come and go as he pleases, he prefers to stay close to the pen and visit with the pen birds.  He makes a nice addition to the landscape and gobbles as I talk, doesn't appear to be aggressive, but not taking chances around the babies.  Those talons look fierce and that beak could do some damage if provoked.  He is a beautiful bird and fun to watch.

Thanksgiving and Christmas is always filled with lots of good food, long visits and a time of fun.  I so enjoyed the visits with family and friends. 

As I read back over this years happenings I know I have been greatly blessed.  I look forward to the coming year with anticipation.  I can't wait to see what God has in store for me next.  Until next time . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your stories:) love you.....Becky