Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Homeless

Homeless!  Does that word bring to mind a person with no home, no warm fire to come home to, no hot meal waiting at the end of a long day?  It is definitely that, but one can be homeless emotionally when they have left the home or town they have called home.  Many years ago, my husband (who was in the Air Force) was stationed in Charleston, SC.  It was so exciting to be moving to a new town, home, area and I was looking forward to the adventure.  It took a few weeks to get settled in and take care of all the essentials.  My first unsettling experience was at the post office.  Our house was in a little community called Ladson.  I stepped into the post office to the jabber of the employees and low, I couldn't understand a word being said.  The nice gentleman looked at me and said "What?".  Not may I help you or what do you need, just "What?".  That was the only thing I understood during my first visit to this lovely little building.  The rest I wrote down and somehow managed to get my address recorded and my mail started.

I left feeling so frustrated.  I didn't know the people in this area spoke a different language.  I came to really not like that post office.  The people seem to be nice but we just did not communicate.  I also had my first major accident turning into this same post office. 

As the days drifted by, the loneliness drifted in.  I was doing a lot of sewing and that kept me busy, but I had no one to talk to.  It wasn't long until I went to work at a day care center in our neighborhood.  The communication in itself was not a problem, but the attitude of these people were strange.  One infants parents wanted the child to sleep all day so they could play with him all night.  Another was fed so much and he was so large his fingers looked ready to pop.  I had the infants - all 8 of them - alone!  Two were ready to move up to another class, but there was no room, so I had two toddlers in with the 6 infants.  I loved the babies, but went home exhausted everyday, knowing the same was waiting the next day.  I didn't last long, 6 months was all I could handle, before I went looking for something else.  Sears saved my sanity! 

The friend problem had not been solved.  As much as I talked to those precious infants, not one of them talked back.  The other workers were nice as could be, but they were as busy as I was and there was no time for chatting. 

It took some time, but as the new neighborhood filled up we met new people.  It made things much easier, but it still wasn't home.  My point is that a house doesn't make a home.  Family and friends are the foundation of a home and happiness.  During this Holiday season I commiserate with those away from their home.  Remember your friends and families are anticipating your return visits and the days are not quite as full as they would be if you were at home with them. 

Until next time . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

1 comment:

Jenjie said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Home is family, not a building. I have managed to make some friends here in Dahlonega and I love the town. But home is always where my family is.