Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cataract Surgery

First of all, I have the most terrific sister and brother-in-law.  They picked me up earlyTuesday morning to take me for cataract surgery.  Let me tell you, I am not a stranger to being cut on and various parts of my body removed, fixed, and replaced.  I can handle all that - but the thought of never seeing again terrifies me.  I can do without hearing the crap that comes out of intelligent mouths, but the thought of never seeing my girls eyes sparkle or see my grandson wiggle his eyebrows at me and smile is beyond my comprehension.  So needless to say I was a bit on the nervous side.  Sis and Bro were right there with me with all the comforting words and gestures. 

I didn't have a long wait before I was called back to my out patient room and given my darling attire for the morning.  My nurse was a friend from High School and we chit chatted a bit then down to business.  Eye drops in the case of this surgery is the key to it all.  I think I experienced a total of 5 different types of drops all with their own little agenda and these little diamonds must go in every 30 minutes or an hour.  We did the drop regimen and then a very pleasant young man picked me up in a neat chair bed.  We zipped down the halls to the operating room and there I was met by another friendly group of nurses and doctors who explained all the steps and tried to make me comfortable. 

I was not asleep for any of this procedure and I am so glad I got to see from the inside out.  The nurse advised she was giving me some happy drugs via the IV pigtail; the Doctor put a little drop in my eye and then moved a ominous looking machine over my face; and instructed me to watch the lights.  I then watched the little "razor" move across my eye and cut away the old crusted lens and its casing all the while a beautiful array of colors played across my eye.  A new lens was dropped in, a patch taped over the eye and the adhesive sheet was removed from my face and it was all over.  A cup of coffee and muffins from the nurses and a chicken sandwich from Sis and Bro were waiting on me in the room.  I consumed most of both, but did share a muffin with Bro, got dressed and sat and waited to go home.

Easy as pie!  When the patch was removed I wanted to shout with joy.  I could see again and everything looked so clean and new.  I could actually see the leaves on the trees, not a green fuzzy glob.  This week i am getting the left eye done and then the depth perception will clear even more and I will be able to walk with fumbling around.  Can't wait!

Until next time  . . .

Happy Reading!
Belle

No comments: