Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sewing

As I have posted before, I have been sewing since I could thread a needle.  I guess that was a test, Grandmother said I could learn to sew when I could thread the needle.  Good test!  I cut me a short piece of string, grabbed a needle and tried for hours to get that blasted thread through the eye of that needle.  You turn your head to the right and then the left, hang your tongue out of the side of the mouth and focus.  Now at 60, I still have to concentrate to get those needles threaded.  But don't cheat - don't use a needle threader; threading the needle is part of the process and you can't skip any steps.

I got my own first sewing machine for Christmas in 1969.  My Mom's old Necchi had done me proud, but to have my own was fantastic.  I wore that machine out many years ago and took over Mom's Necchi and have been through many hand me down machines since then.  I have hinted, told, begged and pleaded for a new machine to no avail.  Hubby don't take hints and his motto is if you want it, go get it so that is just what I did!

I ask Hubby to take me to Jo Ann's in Macon to take a look.  I had done my research on line and found the machine I wanted.  Hubby was astounded at the machine available and the cost of same.  He carefully guided me away from those $3500 machines by Viking and kept me steered toward the Singer's that had the Sale Signs taped to them.  He was so funny!  He made a comment about the Husquvarna machine and the saleslady told him "it will sew your clothes and cut your grass"! 

I got my Singer Curvy (which was on sale at a terrific price - $300 off) and headed home.  At my age, it takes a lot to get the heart pounding, but I did have that spark of excitement.  Hubby wanted to stop and eat on the way home, I wanted to go home and sew!  We ate.  I unboxed that beauty and read the two books of instructions, popped in the DVD and went through the tutorial and plugged her in.  Lights started blinking and a horrible whistle started blowing and I sat and watched it thinking it was warming up.  I don't think in this day and age anything has to "warm up" but I calmly waited and waited and waited.  I finally cut the machine off, unplugged everything, grabbed the book and started over.  No change.  I stomped my foot, I yelled at the machine, and then boxed it right back up. 

The kind people exchanged the machine with no problem expressing their sympathy and showed nothing but kindness.  The new machine did exactly as the books and DVD said it would and I have been sewing happily along.  Sometimes there is a bad apple in the bunch and stuff happens.  It is in the manner of the resolution that makes a difference in a satisfied customer and a unsatisfied customer. 

I made four pillows for the youngest granddaughters yesterday and have another set for my oldest granddaughter to make.  I don't have much time with her so she will have to make hers with her Mom.  I bought some patterns to make up some jumpers for my girls and my neighbor came over with loads of sewing.  I love to sew for her because she enjoys what I make for her. 

Lot's to do so I must get at it!  Until next time . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: