Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sight is a Blessed Thing

For the last three years I thought I was going blind.  It probably started a good bit before that, but I started paying attention when everything over 20 feet in front of me was blurred.  I could not drive at night due to the lights from other vehicles blinding me, but what a light show the reflectors and signs made.  A halo of lights blinking and dancing were all I could see which really distorted my sight.  A doctor was recommended as off I went.  The doctor advised I definitely needed glasses for both reading and distance and prescribed some pretty potent glasses, then sent me to his assistant that handled glasses.  As I left I made an appointment for the next year.  A couple of weeks later I received a call to come for a fitting for the glasses and WOW!  I could really see.  I was so excited I could see without any blurring.

The first month I could see fine, then gradually over the next month I was right back where I started.  That little niggling of fear crept in and I honestly thought I was going blind.  When my next appointment came up, I saw a different doctor.  She advised there had indeed been a tremendous change in my eyes.  she did several tests, couldn't find anything wrong (her words "there is definitely something wrong, but I don't know what it is"), prescribed new glasses and made me an appointment for the next year.

Repeat.  The first month I could see great, then my vision digressed rapidly.  Enough is enough and off I went to another Eye Clinic.  I went by the old doctor's office and filled out a request for my records to be sent to the new doctor.  They still haven't received the records and it has been two months. 

The nurse at the new doctor's office did all those little test they do for pressure, etc., and then I saw the doc.  He shined his little light in my eyes and told me I had cataracts and I wouldn't be able to see until they were removed.  He also advised that changing glasses wouldn't do me any good.  Okay - he saw this with a penlight.  We discussed my history and he explained the processes of the surgery.  Returning me to his nurse who advised she new I had cataracts when she did my preliminary exam and test.  She did some more test, I completed some paperwork and she scheduled my surgery.

This is a perfect example of competent versus incompetent.  I should have insisted on more tests or gone to another doctor after the first doctor's visit.  I have come to realize that I can not put my trust in doctors to take care of my infirmities. 

So next two weeks will see me going unblind and I will soon be able to see again.  I might miss the light show, but at least I will be able to drive once again.  Keep me in your prayers and I will be able to see you soon!

Until next time . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: