Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Around the Corner

Time is speeding by, whether this is due to my age and me moving somewhat slower or whether everyone else has sped up, but regardless the days are not marching but racing toward . . . something! Goodness, it seems only yesterday we were celebrating the beginning of a new year and now we are in the middle of the month.

We are just a couple of weeks away from starting our indoor seed beds for those plants yearning to be given a chance to flourish and produce. As I have stated before February is my month of depression. Not yet the end of the cold, wet and windy weather that keeps me inside and not yet the beginning of the warm spring temperatures that so heal my mind.

I have tried in the last few years to save some of my more interesting projects for the month of February to keep me busy and my mind stimulated. Planning my garden is probably foremost on my mind. I actually have two gardens - one for vegetables and one for herbs.

As I have aged, I have searched and researched methods to reduce the physical labor needed for a productive garden. As much as I enjoy neat and clean rows, mulching reduces much of the labor and results in happier and healthier plants and saves my back from much bending and pulling.

March is my month of renewal. The later part of the month always brings the first warm days as we start our turn toward the sun. I watch the temperatures change as we slowly make our turn back to the sun and the warmth motivates me once again. I probably should just hibernate from December through March! Spring cleaning come early here as the outside starts calling to me around the end of March when everything must be prepared for the spring days. My anticipation grows as I wait for my hummingbirds to return so I can watch their antics. I scour the garden for the first peek of green shoots hoping that I haven't lost too many plants over the harsh winter that has been so rough on humans and animals alike.

April arrives awakening all living things and I smile from inside. The month of showers doesn't bother me as I know God is watering his plants and bringing joy to my heart. The ground has warmed and the air is refreshing.


And then right around the corner . . .


Happy reading!

Belle

No comments: