Monday, January 4, 2010

It's Here

It is freezing outside! So cold that even my demonic animals are inside by the fire (and it has been gong constantly). The wind is sending daggers of cold right through the body making all barriers useless. The promise of snow later in the week brings a smile to my face until I open the door and slide into the frigid air.

In 1984 we hosted a New Year's Eve party in 4 degree weather. Everyone was gathered around the fire and still froze. Worst party I have ever had the pleasure to attend much less give. At midnight, everyone rushed to their warming vehicles to escape the angry weather making it the shortest party ever for this celebration. Strangely enough it warmed up a great deal with the departure of the guest. Believe me cold doesn't always mean snow, so there was no reason to keep opening and shutting the door to "see if it's snowing".

Well, for those of you who think we must have 3-5 days of freezing temperatures to kill the insects - we should not have any bugs, insects or anything else for the next year or two after this weeks temperatures. Do you think it will drive the armadillos south again?

Those beautiful palms that I refused to put in the ground year before last and now in the ground and will probably perish after this front finishes dumping its icy temps. I look for them to jump out of the ground and run back to Jekyll and the warm soil of the coast. I think it will be safe now to prune the trees and shrubs and shape them up for a beautiful spring. Surely the sap raced down the stems to escape the wintry blasts.

My grandchildren are on the way and I am so happy! I will fill their little tummies with good gooey chocolate pies and fruity strudels. There is so much I need to share with them and I will have only a few days in which to catch up and build memories. I so need to see the sparkle in my daughters eyes and hear her joyful laugh.

I know I have rambled a bit tonight. I lost a most important and longtime friend this New Years. I had things to tell him before he left us and so many things to thank him for before asking God to take special care of him. Life was not always good to our friend, but then God knows that and will grant him peace. Hubby and I spent a day in remembrance and thankfulness for our friend - so many years takes a little bit of time - but we enjoyed the journey and we enjoyed the friend.

Thank you for returning to check on me and my thoughts. They will come back together over the next few days and maybe the writing will be more sensible.

Remember, you can't build a future if you live in the past. Move forward, thank God and be nice!

Happy reading!

Belle

No comments: