Friday, January 8, 2010

Cold Weather Appetites

It was in the teens this morning with ice and frozen snow covering the lawn and trees. It didn't take long for the hunger to set in so I headed to the kitchen. With only the two of us at home, I quit making biscuits a long time ago. Mary B's frozen buttermilk biscuits suit us just fine and I don't know how to make four biscuits at a time which is all we need. If I cook more, we will eat more. This morning I made a pan of two dozen buttery biscuits (yes I remembered how)! We quickly consumed five of those delicious beauties.

Yesterday in anticipation of the ice, snow and temperatures in the teens, I dropped a chicken in the boiling pot with some onions, celery, and garlic. The house smelled delicious! Late in the afternoon, I pulled the chicken out of the stock to cool and spilt that rich chicken broth between two pots. In one pot I added a cup of rice and a quart of milk. After pulling the chicken off the bone, I dumped it into the pot and allowed the soup to simmer below boiling for about an hour. Today the other half of the chicken broth is the base of a pot of potato soup.

This weekend is wood splitting time. There will be enough trees cut and split to heat five households for the rest of the winter. When all the guys get together it doesn't take long for the stacks to rise and the air is filled with the smell of resin from the split wood. They get mighty hungry from the labor and the cold. Soup, biscuits and cornbread go a long way in appeasing their appetites without making them tired and lazy and the babies love milk biscuits!

Well, one pan of biscuits are gone, so I must get in gear for the next batch. Stay warm, be happy and eat well!

Happy reading!

Belle

No comments: