Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Back to the Basics

Those days of one or two eggs are hopefully gone.  One day last week we found four little beauties in the coop and yesterday hubby brought in three.  With more sunshine and warmer temps these little darlings should start really producing.  Not much sunshine today, but the weather is still warm here in central Georgia - at least there is no snow and ice!

Hubby decided to double the garden size this year and I am much afraid that he is about to double it again.  With all the good veggies we harvested last year, he has found many new things he would like to grow.  The potatoes, beets and bush beans are planted as is the asparagus.  As much as I love fresh corn, it is not an efficient crop to grow.  With only two or three ears to a stalk, the time and cost of the seeds, in planting and fertilizing does not equal a profitable return.   We'll see if we can still get a dozen ears for a dollar this year.  I may be way out of line with my thinking on this one.

I am growin my lettuce in containers this year.  It will be easier to manage and will provide a lovely addition to the deck.  I found some seeds for that delicious buttercrunch lettuce that I am more than ready to get planted, as well as some green leaf lettcue.  I haven't tried to grow any of the oriental varieties, but the foliage on the ones I have looked at in the seed catalogue is so pretty I may try a container of those also. 

The squash of last year was so good that we will definitely plant more of it as well as the okra.  I will also put in some zucchini this year.  Zucchini with some spicy deer sausage and tomatoes make a tasty sauce for pasta of any kind. Okra will go in last as the ground has to be warmed for the okra to sprout.  Celebrity and rutgers are my tomatoes of choice, but we will see what hubby finds.  He has been seed shopping and has found some pretty interesting varieties this year. Looks like my spring is already full, if I get all this stuff planted.  Let's just hope the neighbor's chicken don't rape the garden as they did last year.  They ate the seeds as fast as I put them in and those that did germinate provided fodder for those chicks all summer - they got more tomatoes than I did! 

The warmer weather and the increase in sunshine has been a healing balm to my mind.  It has been jumping with ideas which is a great relief as I was afraid my creativity was gone for good, so I guess I better get started on me an Etsy site so I can share my creations with the world.  Who would have thought in the 1970s that we could reach so many people at one time via a keyboard and a internet connection as we do today.  That is what thinking outside the box will do for you!

I thank you for dropping by and wish for you a peaceful and happy day.  

Happy reading!
Belle 

No comments: