Friday, March 19, 2010

Yeah! It's Friday

I admit I must be a little touched, but I love the smell of animals.  I guess it comes from being raised on a dairy farm, but nothing smells better than a field of cows on a warm summer day.  Goats, well, they are a different story.  The smelliest of all animals - emus. 

A couple of weeks ago we went to the auction barn and on exiting the truck and overwhelming odor blasted us.  There were over 200 hundred goats at the barn that evening and I could not believe the stench.  Know I realize that the lover of goats probably think there is no better smell, as does the pig farmer, but really, there is nothing warm and cozy feeling about either.

Tonight means another trip to the auction barn and hopefully all the goat trading has taken place and we can move right on to the chickens, ducks and geese.  I love the beautiful silkies and would buy one for a pet, but every farm animal I have ever made a pet of, ended up in the frying pan.  I just don't think I could face that again.  Poor Blackie, my pet calf who grew to be an enormous cow, was really good eating once I got past the memories of her letting me lay against her belly while I read.  She became meat for the freezer when an even larger cow dumped her upside down in the feed trough.  We didn't try CPR as it took an hour or so just to haul her out of the trough via the tractor and a winch.  How would you do CPR on a cow?  Not sure, but such is life, but I don't think silkies are grown for eating.

It is suppose to be warm, warm, warm today and I might just get my feet in some dirt.  It is starting to look like an outside day already!  Have lots to do so I better get to it.  Thanks for visiting with me and drop in again soon.

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: