Friday, June 25, 2010

Homesick

My granddaughter called me from summer camp last night.  My grandson and granddaughter are at summer camp in Missouri and I have missed talking to them this week.  I was so-o-o-o excited to hear from her and listen to all the fun things they have done this week.  I then my mind started racing - was she okay?  Did I hear a slight tremble in her voice?  Was she homesick?  Did something scare her?  You know, a thousands questions starting swirling through my mind and of course, the worry.  They will be home in 4 days and 3 nights.  Will she be okay until then? 

Then I started rationalizing.  They are more than half way through the week (6 days) and she has done fine until now.  She is just starting to get homesick.  She is ready for her Mom and Dad and the comfort of knowing they are close by.  She is just ready to be at home!

My sister and I spent 2 weeks every summer with my Aunt and Uncle in Alabama.  The first 4 days were fine, but after that it was all down hill!  I wanted to go home and had no intention of even trying to have a good time.  My Aunt and Uncle had no children and there was absolutely nothing to do at their house.  Their yard was small and filled with bird feeders and bird baths and vine covered arbors, which were perfectly beautiful, but not practical when you put two country girls in the middle of them.  My Uncle's idea of curing our boredom was to put my sister and I to work in the yard.  Boy was that a mistake!  Anyway, my homesickness during this time had nothing to do with missing my Mom and Dad and a whole lot to do with missing my stuff and the great outdoors.  I just wanted to be in "my" space!

They will be home on Monday and I will breathe a sigh of relief!  I look forward to seeing them next weekend. 
Until next time . . .

Happy Reading!
Belle

No comments: