Monday, June 21, 2010

Early Summer

If Summer has just arrived, what would be the appropriate name for the past two weeks of 90+ temperatures and breath taking humidity with no rain?  I know most of Georgia has received some kind of rainfall, but not on my side of the mountain.  I must be in some kind of trough where the rain refuses to fall.  Neighbors on the north and neighbors on the south have gotten good soaking showers while we sit here and swelter as the garden slumps further and further to the ground.  If this is a taste of the rest of the summer, then we are in for a scorcher. 

The only thing thriving is the heat loving pests!  As an outdoor person, I am fighting at the bit to get back outside and piddle in my flowers, herbs, and garden.  Have you noticed that city folks have flower gardens, whereas country folks have flowers and gardens.  Country folks don't have flower gardens, they have vegetable gardens or just plain gardens.  The same applies to the yard.  City folks have a lawn and country folks have a yard.  Country folks cut the grass while city folks calls lawn maintenance to trim the lawn.  When I lived in the city, I was a thing of wonder to my neighbors.  I cut the grass, trimmed the shrubbery, planted my flowers and even put in a few tomato plants.  How was I to know that women in the city didn't do such things.  To each his own!  I do things that bring me joy and I do like to share a smile with others.

I have been on a hiatus from writing for the past few weeks.  No new ideas have poked their way into my sprightly brain until last night and then "Katie" appeared and she is trying to develop into a story line.  We'll see where she goes, but she does not seem to be in a hurry to get put on paper. 

We enjoyed a family get together this weekend with nieces from central Georgia.  As always we had a great time with all the babies and children.  We ate lots of good fish, hush puppies and cole slaw along with hand pattied hamburgers and some delicious hot spicy sausage.  My brother-in-law can find the best of the best in the food line.  His jalapeno ranch dip was just right with the fresh veggies from the garden.  We never even got to the watermelons which are still on ice and just waiting to be cut.  Some homemade ice cream would have gone well with the peach cobbler, but it wasn't really missed either as everyone was stuffed.  We had a lot of laughs as we did the "remember whens" and took home new memories to be shared at a later date.

The kids enjoyed the pool even though the sun was blistering to the adults.  I am already looking forward to Hubby's birthday in July (he'll turn 50 this year) when hopefully they will all return for more good food and fellowship.  Where in the world does the stamina go when you get older?  I can't ever remember the sun bothering me as a child, but it sure takes its toll on me now. 

I have been nostalgic this week.  I think our upcoming class reunion has sparked some memories that were lost in the everyday shuffle of life.  As a child and young adult, almost all of my social activities were centered around our Church and sometimes were extended to a few other kids in our community that attended other churches.  (Another city/country thing - City people live in a neighborhood whereas Country people live in a community.)  I found that classmates are not the only people that have disappeared from my life. Some friends that were really close and I truly loved and enjoyed being with are gone from the area and I have no idea which direction they have taken.  Some of this is my fault as I am typically a home body.  I hate funerals and as weird as it sounds, funerals are a major contact source in this day and time.  I think maybe this year I will have to attend the Reunion at our church and see just how many I can reconnect with, or at least locate, before I have to attend their funeral.

Before this gets too morbid I am signing off.  Until next time . . .
Happy Reading!
Belle

No comments: