Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Setttling In

My grandchildren have returned from summer camp in Missouri, so my anxiety level has dropped tremendously.  I am so glad they are once again, if not with me, at least within driving distance of a couple of hours.  I will spend time with them over the next few days and be restored once again.

My class reunion was terrific.  The short visit that we shared was so enjoyable and it was a blessing to hear the testimonies of so many.  The majority of our rebellious group of graduates have turned their focus toward God, family, and community (which is now worldwide).   As I looked around and watched my many classmates, I realized that I only had a close relationship with a handful of people, but I considered all of them friends.  I didn't detect not the first bit of animosity or trepidation of the part of my fellow classmates and everyone seemed truly happy to be part of this event. 

The smiling face of Ricky T., the sparkling eyes of Mike C., the smiling faces of Carol H., Susan D., Darlene P., Mary Ann J., Pam P., and on and on, was a wonder to watch.  Some of these people had not changed one bit - Carole Ann G. knows the secret to the fountain of youth - but some I would never have known.  Warren H. and wife Camilla were the same as 41 years ago as was Rhonda P.  Faye and Kaye exhibited the same enthusiasm as I remember in school and shared their love and excitement of the event.  Next time we would like to add some of old teachers to the mix - that should add even more flavor to our pot!

I have re-established contact with these people and have no intention of losing them again.  We will move on with each of our lives, but we have added a few old friends back in the mix and they fit just fine!  Thank you Dawn C. for all your work, your tenacity, and your motivation to keep going and move forward. 

I am now ready to move on to other projects I have put on hold.  It will be a busy summer!  July 4th is coming up this weekend.  It is shaping up to be fun filled and busy!  A lot going on to celebrate the birth of our great country.  July 4, 1776 seems a long time ago, but the impact of the actions taken by our founding fathers and the dreams they had for this country will be everlasting.  It took many years to attain our freedom and to establish the groundwork of this great nation.  It is a time for coming together and remembering what this nation stands for amid the tumult and desperation many of our countrymen are now facing.  It has been a long time since the people of this country stood behind a common goal and I am afraid there are wolves in sheep's clothing trying to get a foothold in our government.

My daughters' birthday is July 3rd so we will be celebrating double on that day.  Goodness, time sure flies.  It seems only yesterday that I rocked a tiny bundle to sleep while singing "You Are My Sunshine."  I thank God for her and her brother.  They have both taught me a lot and been a true blessing in my life.

A little bit of rain last night will put me in gear next week to get the garden worked, picked and some things replanted.  With more rain in the forecast for today, it will be a busy time.  Any ideas on how to get rid of the poison ivy that is growing like wildfire in my yard this year?  I know - very carefully!  I have several shoots that have really taken over, but as allergic as I am to the sap, I have been hesitant to try to move it to the burn pile.

Well, I have much to do and little time to accomplish all the things on my list.  Until next time . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: