Monday, May 23, 2011

I Miss My Granddaddy!



A couple of months ago Hubby and I were at the Buggytown Auction when several cages of rabbits came up for bid.  I made the statement that I would like to have some rabbits and I got "The Look" - you know the one that says "have you lost your mind?"  Well, I let it drop and we came home with a couple of chickens instead.  I haven't mentioned those cute little balls of fur that can be cuddled like no chicken ever could and I went on about my business.

On Friday afternoon I was talking to my granddaughter in Dahlonega about her upcoming visit and things we would like to do. Hubby comes in and the little one asked to speak to him.  She wanted a rabbit - a brown rabbit!  I thought to myself as I listened to them talk that she was wishing in the wind.  After about thirty minutes of haggling back and forth over money and upkeep, hubby handed me the phone after which we said our goodbyes.  Hubby advised me we were going to the sale barn to get some rabbits.  My three granddaughters have far surpassed me in manipulating their PawPaw - even from 150 miles away they have more influence!

Off to Buggytown Auction we went and home we came 4 hours later with 5 chickens and 3 rabbits.  They all spent the night in the "keeper" pen, but I knew that was not to be their new home.  Off to Tractor supply we went for wire, feed and a bottle waterer.  By Saturday afternoon those little bunnies had a wonderful home and plenty of feed and water and have really settled in nicely.  The youngest two granddaughters had to come see the new "pets" and make sure they were settled in okay.  After two days of multiple visits and all the moving, they have had a quiet day to adjust and rest just in time for the older two grandchildren to arrive mid week. 

Rabbits do make good pets, but when I said we were finally going to have some good rabbit stew, my daughter in law looked at me like I was delirious.  She vowed never to eat any rabbit and neither would the girls.  She'll never know the difference as I will fry those offspring in a heartbeat and tell them it is chicken.  Nothing is better on cold wet winter nights than a pot of rabbit stew!

Next I would like to add a couple of Pygmy goats to my menagerie, but the middle granddaughter is begging for a horse.  That I do believe will be Pawpaw's waterloo and he has said he will never have another horse.  We will see!

Until next time. . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: