Monday, May 23, 2011

Sauteed Greens Beans

I have a prolific crop of green beans/string beans this year.  My friend Mike shared some Roma II seeds and I got three good 20+ feet rows.  These are a bush bean which I usually don't grow, but these jewels have really changed my mind.  Tasty, easy to snap and produces like crazy even with the lack of rain.

Since I am not crazy about green beans boiled down to mush, I have been experimenting with a few ways of cooking these beans.  I have settled on one in which the flavor can be adjusted by the seasoning.  In a large dutch oven, fry 3 slices of bacon (I have tried both pork and beef bacon with great results), add the beans a handful at a time stirring to turn and coat well with the grease from the bacon.  Season to taste - I add a little salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic and onion.  Do not add water.  Cover and reduce heat to medium low.  The beans cook in their own juice, remain crispy and are full of flavor.  Try your favorite seasoning. 

Also have an over abundance of zucchini.  Any recipes are welcome as I have tried just about everything.  My favorite so far is a Paul Dean recipe for stuffed zucchini made with spinach.  Also really like scrambled sausage with zucchini and tomatoes.  Would love to receive your favorite!

No comments: