Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Perspective

Many times I am childlike in my thoughts. 

I have seen the many pictures of the damage caused by the recent tornados and after the initial shock and the roads were cleared, I visited some of the disaster sites.  However, until a friend sent me a video made from a plane did I ponder the significance of the human race in relation to this storm.  The people in the video appeared to be equivalent to the ants on a glorified anthill and the storm path nothing more than a boot kick along the surface of the earth.

The sight brought to mind how truly unimportant we are in the whole scheme of things and all those material possessions may make us feel better and puff up with pride, but in actuality they have little value in the overall picture.  I grieve with my fellow human beings and I pray for the safety of those left without homes, families, and friends.  Very seldom do we witness the physical power of our mighty God and it is a frightening thing.  The Bible tells us that our God is one of love, but also advises us not to provoke Him to anger. 

I do not pretend to understand the purpose of the storms, but I do see so much love, sharing, concern and joy in the people of our community that has been hidden behind a hard shell of protection.  Sometimes we all have to have a slap in the face to wake us up to the needs of others.

God told man to go forth and be fruitful and multiply and man surely did that.  But the Bible also says that he counts the hairs on our head and so I know he has me in his hands as he does my fellow ant people. 

I have come closer to understanding the fear, the loss, and the grief of those people who suffer through the hurricanes, the tsunamis, the earthquakes, the floods. 

No comments: