Monday, July 27, 2009

Ode to the Nipper Diddy

Floating along on the small lake, I had a couple of bream poles in the water and Hubby, he was casting for that big bass. Fishing from the canoe was not our favorite way to fish, but the trolling motor on the jon boat was dead and the fish were calling. We had to answer that call and the canoe provided the means.

We had just about given up on the big boy hitting the pumpkin seed worms Hubby was using and the bream didn't like my red wigglers. Hubby changed to his and my favorite - the frog colored nipper diddy. If the bass was going to hit, it would hit Mr. Nipper Diddy! I had given up on fishing and I was easing the boat slowly along the shore. Enjoying the coolness of the shade from the overhanging trees, I moved the canoe quietly along. Hubby jerked his rod and my regular question was "did you get him?" "Nope, but I will this time!" "Come on, big boy, hit it again." He cast again into the shadows and that big ole bass flipped Mr. Nipper Diddy off his tail and right back at the canoe. Frustrated and determined, Hubby once again dropped the plug right in the shadows, and once again the bass rolled over and flipped the plug right back at us.

It was definitely time to go home. We had worn out our welcome and we were sure the call had gone out over the lake to ignore the two in the canoe.

Hubby and I have caught many a fish on a frog colored nipper diddy. They don't make these wonderful lures anymore, but they sure provided a lot of fun and excitement.

1 comment:

Jenjie said...

oh Nipper Diddy, oh Nipper Diddy, how we love thee Nipper Diddy, ..... let me count the ways, I love you with the width and breadth of all my heart can hold.... or something like that :)