Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chicken Update

I have 9 beautiful new little chicks that are as of yesterday a week old.  Eat, eat, eat and drink, drink, drink is their main forte at this point.  We are proud of the little buggers and just know they will be producing big brown eggs in just five months and start giving back.  

With our laying hens and roosters, our new chicks brings our flock to number twenty four.  Of course, some of these precious babies will be roosters and will either go in the cookpot or to the sale barn. 

I want to share a few things we learned through this process.  First, keep the temperature between 98 and 100 degrees.  We maintained the 100 degree point through the use of an old thermostat from a discarded hot water heater.  Second, rotate the eggs in the incubator - this is in addition to turning them three times a day.  Third, close to hatching time (21 days in the incubator) listen and watch.  We had been told not to help the biddies hatch (remove the shell or open the egg a bit) as this would make for a weak bird, but  about nine of our eggs were fully developed but the shells were too hard for the little chicks to break through.  They expired in the process and we lost about a dozen little chicks.  Fourth, remove the water from the incubator so the babies will not drown (I lost one this way) or move the chicks immediately to another container keeping them warm and dry, but providing food and water (in a container they cannot fall into). 

Our chicks did not eat anything on the first day after they hatched, but on the second day they ate like they were starving and haven't slowed down.  It took about an hour after hatching for them to dry and get their legs under them, but at a week old they are flutter flying all around their box.  The first chick is still the boss of the others as evidence by her tending her flock.  I know this will change when they are merged with the larger chicks that are about 7 - 8 weeks now. 

I was a proud Mama yesterday when I went into the pen late in the day and found my older chicks (about 4 months old) on the perch roosting with my hens.  They have found their place in the flock and the hens are keeping them in line but have accepted them.

I know I have a ways to go, but this has been a most gratifying process and I think I might just try another couple of dozen in a week or so.  My friends are anxious to put my babies in a pot for chicken and dumplings, but I think they may have to go to the grocer for their chickens. 

Thanks for stopping in for a visit and come back soon!

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: