Monday, April 12, 2010

Consistently for three weeks we have turned eggs three times a day - 6 to 8 hours apart - not knowing whether we had even purchased fertile eggs, nevertheless, hoping that our efforts would pay off.  Friday was suppose to be hatching day, but I do understand that the temperature must stay within the 99 to 100 degree window for the process to even begin, so it can vary by a few days.

We started checking the eggs on Friday in hopes that we would be able to watch the little shells burst open and little creatures would emerge.  My daughter and granddaughter, very excited over the idea, swore they heard scratching and chirping.  I heard nothing and was sure they were hallucinating due their wishing to be part of the birthing process.

I had a rather busy morning on the inside and did not rush out to check my biddies and the eggs in the incubator, but around mid-morning I hit the barn.  Two little biddies had hatched and were soaking wet and wobbling around in the incubator.  With pounding heart and a smile on my face, I quickly gathered them in an old towel and tucked them safely into the corner of the incubator to keep them warm and dry.  I removed the water and placed a small plastic top in the bottom with water and feed.  It took about an hour for them to settled in and start to cuddle in their bed.  That was about 4 hours ago and 5 more eggs are cracking and the little peeps are chirping away in their shells. 

Of course I called hubby to let him know that his 10 dozen egg purchase was not in vain and that the little peeps were hatching fine.  I am now the nursey and delivery nurse for the rest of the day.  Will catch you up on my progress during the day.  I am in the process of making a true nursery for the little darlings.  I have read that the process can take from 5 - 10 days so I will be watchful until I am sure the process in over.

Stay with me on my chicken and biddy venture!  It is so exciting to watch the miracle of birth which only further affirms that our God is one of miracles!

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: