Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My World in April

Only a few days left before we see whether or not or diligence has paid off and we are blessed with new chicks.  The process hasn't really been that bad, but has been a little inconvenient having to turn the eggs three times a day. 

Wouldn't you know it, one of our hens has gone back to brooding (sitting) on her eggs.  It would have been nice if she had decided to do this 20 days ago.  Anyway, that means I will be doing without her eggs for a few weeks, but I have two more hens that have started laying regularly.

Plan on getting some tomatoes and pepper plants in this weekend in between yard selling and visiting with my grandchildren.  My potaoes are growing profusely and the beets, beans, squash, and lettuce are all showing their little heads and the rain scheduled for tomorrow will not only provided relief from the pollen, but also give these little guys a much needed drink.  After the weekend I will put the okra in as the ground will not only be moist but warm enough for the temperamental okra seeds to sprout.  I do believe those little okra seeds have a thermometer stuck in them and they refuse to take action until it reaches the ideal temperature - maybe I should put them in the incubator.

My hostas and canna lillies have started poking their beautiful green foliage through the ground and I am anxious to see how well they multiplied in their first year.  I will dig them up and separate in the fall, but I usually let them rest in the first year.  I do believe I managed to kill my asparagus fern by dividing this spring.  Usually, an asparagus fern needs to be divided each spring by removing from the pot and cutting into four equal pie shaped and then replanting in fresh potting soil.  I noticed when I divided my two pots, the roots were extremely spongy so I was unsure whether they would make it or not.  I should have seen some new growth by now as it has been almost two weeks since I divided and re-potted.  I may need to start over with the ferns.

In all my 50 years in dealing with plants, I have never been able to grow Aloe.  I know, everyone says it is the easiest thing in the world to grow, but up until this year I could kill it by thinking about it.  My dear sister gave me several plants when I requested some droppings from her Chandelier cactus (fern).  A story in itself as to how she came about having this unusual, but beautiful plant, but I seemed to have left mine exposed during an early cold snap year before and wanted to start some more.  Not only did sis bless me with many baby cactus, but gifted me with many, many Aloe. 

I tried something different and am well pleased with the results.  I took a couple of fish bowls, poured sand in the bottom to about 2 inches, adding 3-4 inches of potting soil, then watering until the potting soil is damp (not wet) once a week.  The aloe has flourished in these bowls and they make a beautiful centerpiece.  The fronds lift out of the bowl and spread.  I added a few small animals to the bowls which has become a favorite topic of conversation. 

Time for me to get a move on it.  I am making some pretty halter tops and vests to go in my online shop (http://www.clairescollections.etsy.com/), but that will have to wait until after my yard sale this weekend.  Keep your eyes open I may have something just for you listed soon.  I hope you have a great day and thanks for stopping in!

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: