Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I fear this is going to be a long process - one more hatched overnight and two more are cracking.  The two that were cracking yesterday are still in process.  It seems the blue eggs (probably a variety of a game chicken) hatching hatching easier than the brown eggs which is logical as the brown eggs have probably been fed a laying mash with extra calcium where the game chicks foraged free.

I have two beige and 1 black.  One precious baby got into the water container before I could get to it and drowned.  So, if 50 - 75 % are expected to hatch, we started with 120 eggs, lost 12 due to accidental crushing or dropping, a hen is still sitting on 6 and 6 are ladies in waiting, then I still have a long  long way to go.

Expect 5 more to hatch today, but that is what I thought yesterday also.  Buying the eggs as mixed dozens, I have no idea what we will end up with, but I must be game for anything or we wouldn't have started this process to begin with. 

It looks like we are pretty close to the normal hatching days as the eggs were started on March 21 and that puts us on day 24.  Thanks for letting me share this experience with you and come back soon for more updates.

By the way, the garden has not suffered as I have hoed and planted while the chicks are doing their thing!  Thanks to all the rain we have had over the winter and early spring, the flowers and plants are flourishing.  I did lose my sago palms, but we had a really nasty winter as far as temperatures and snow went.  My "thrift" is beautiful and I am so pleased that my rosa rugosa came back and is so full and lush.  My asparagus is sprouting its little shoots everywhere and the hostas (thanks to all the rain) has multiplied into large bushy clumps. 

Again, thanks for visiting and come back soon!

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: