Monday, May 3, 2010

The first month of Spring has been most delightful even though I seem to have floated through it with a hazy mind either from the antihistimines or packed sinus cavities.  I could, however, see through the haze and what I saw was trees that leafed out seemingly overnight, the hostas that burst forth from the dark and dry grass, and the roses which grew inches in a days time.  We all attribute this abundance to the gross amounts of rain we have had over the winter and the rush of hot days before Spring actually arrived.  Thankfully the heat only abounded for about a week before the cool days and cooler nights returned and provided comfortable "working outside weather."  We had an extremely harsh winter and much had to be done to straighten out gardens, lawn, and trees.

Of course, along with those plants that we were delighted to see came the weeds that sprouted with profusion all over the yard and in the garden.  One of the more pesty plants I have been fighting for a couple of years is a variety of sand spurs.  We ordered a load of sand and the sneaky seeds of this sand spur were delivered along with it.  As I love to shed my shoes in summer, this has caused endless pain and frustration.  Last Spring I "butt"crawled across the back yard pulling each and every little plant I could find destroying any sign of a spur.  This year, they are back with a vengeance and seem to have spread to new areas.  Looks like my only respite will be some villianous chemical that hopeful will not harm the wildlife nor my wildflowers and herbs. 

I am anxious for a visit from my cousin and his wife as she just completed the "Master Gardener" program.  I hope she has some suggestions for my yard and even though we have different taste and style, I value her suggestions and observations.  Due to her creativity she always has innovative ideas for the yard and garden.

May is shaping up into a very busy month as several "get-togethers" are in the works, but it looks as if the weekends will be rain filled so we will adjust and continue to move forward.  Until next time, I am going to enjoy this rain and cool air . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: