Friday, May 14, 2010

My week at a glance

I will start with an update on my chicks - growing fast and trying to settle into their "pecking order".  Some days I have gathered a half dozen eggs, most days I gather 4 which keeps us full of eggs.  My son's duck was beheaded by some creature from the depths of his lake, so I am now incubating 4 duck eggs.  Wish me luck!

The garden is beautiful!  I had a wonderful salad from the lettuce out of the garden and yesterday I fixed up some beets.  Hubby and I do like beets.  The green beans are blooming which means beans are not far behind.  Same with the tomoatoes and yellow neck squash.  Haven't had a problem with insects so far, but I am well aware that they will soon be flocking into my paradise.  The broccoli, bell peppers and egg plant look very healthy, now if they produce I will be extremely happy.  I wish I had some onions planted as their price has sky rocketed over the last few weeks.  Never thought I would see yellow onions reach $4.00 for a 3 pound bag!  My asparagus bed is shaping up nicely and I am pleased with all the new shoots.  All ten crowns of asparagus survived my ignorance so I am blessed! 

My rosa ragosa is spreading and blooming and looking lovely.  Roses are at their prine this year and the beautiful pink bloom was a little over 6 inches in diameter and smelled divine!  I received two rubber trees for Mother's Day and they are coming right along.  I have to do some research on these babies as I know absolutely nothing about them.  They have made a lovely addition to my garden, however and seem to fit right in to the landscaping I already had going! 

I have encountered a few more little black snakes than usual this year.  I don't know if the chickens are luring them into the yard or the lushness of the plants.  With all the rain we were blessed with this year, the foliage on shrubs and plants alike are thick and beautiful.  The little snakes are driving my chihuahuas crazy and we are experiencing a lot more barking and whining than usual.  The two little redneck dogs just can't understand a snake.

I have enjoyed the search for fellow classmates this week.  I am trying to locate some hard to finds from our graduating class as hopefully we will have a class reunion this summer.  We have lost so many from our class and we really need to get together soon.  It has been exciting to find these people and talk to them.  Most I have not seen or talked to for 40 years.  It is strange to be so close to someone during school and then lose all contact. I look forward to seeing these friends and re-establishing contact.

Haven't done much writing for the past several weeks, but plan to get back to it soon.  My quiet time has been short and interruptions frequent, but things will settle down again soon.  

I would like to thank those of you who have offered up prayers for my cousin injured in Afghanistan.  He is stateside for now, but it looked pretty serious for a few days. It looks like some surgery will be needed before he returns to his unit, but for now he is safe and healing nicely and spending some time with his wife, kids and dad.  Keep praying that his recovery will be complete.

The lettuce must be picked (mine isn't on the recall list), so I will leave you for now.  Thanks for dropping by and until next time . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: