Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Writings

As many of you know I have been writing children's stories for over a year now. No, they are not published!  I keep editing and rewriting and then editing some more.  The once upon a time stand alone stories are now a chapter book.  My sister, my daughter, my daughter-in-law, and my friends have read and re-read the stories and always come back with something that needs fixing.  I am so glad!  I hate to look like a dummy to those to who I submit my stories and I sure don't want any more rejection letters.  I have found three or four agents that handle stories focusing on the "down home on the farm" stories that promote good moral decisions.

I may be pumping myself up, but the rejections I have received so far on the stand alone stories advise me it is not their type of story or genre.  I have yet to be told I can't write or my story line is horrible, so picking myself up, I go back to the blank sheet and write some more.  The most difficult thing I have found is to keep the verbiage on the grade level for which I am writing.  It is easier to accomplish if I stay on the story than when I take a break and then come back.  The story line doesn't change, I just have to re-acclimate my mind to writing at the proper level.

My problem is there are still a bunch of stories floating around in my mind following the same line as the eight or ten I have already written and I don't know how to cut off what is finished.  Do I need to start a new book or let it go with what I have?  It seems kind of ridiculous to start a new book when I don't have the other one published, but I have been told to keep on writing.  Edit the old and start something new.  So, there you have it - I am following the professional advice of these successful people and I just keep on keeping on!

Regardless of the outcome of this writing project of mine, it has been most rewarding and lot's of fun.  There are some excerpts of my Belles Farm stories on my website (click on the link at the top of my blog) and some stories that I really need to go back and expound upon and edit.  Some days I just start writing without thought to where I am going, so there are a few stories that need some polish. 

A busy day ahead so I must run, but thanks for dropping by.  Until next time . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

1 comment:

Jenjie said...

I think your writings are wonderful, you should keep it up and keep writing. You will find your niche!