Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Time for

January and February are pretty much a time of rest and preparation for us gardeners.  The weather is much to cold to plant anything except onions and asparagus (I don't fool with rhubarb and that is the other garden plant ready to go in at this time).  A point of trivia - asparagus and rhubarb are the only perennial garden plants.The ground is still frozen or will be in the near future.  My "Blum's" almanac advises to get the garden spots ready for the planting season.  Having already done that, I think I will just continue to enhance the mulch and add a few more buckets of ash - spread evenly of course over the whole of the garden area.  I have already trimmed the slender stalks of the asparagus and probably should add a few crowns this year, but I think I am going to stick with the dozen planted last year. 

I have some transplanting of the Chandelier Cactus.  The small little flowers took root and I have 3 fish bowls to divide and share.  I have found that the small glass containers from candles make wonderful little terrariums and the tender little plants thrive in the glass jars.  I can easily monitor the moisture in the soil through the glass so I don't over water so easily and as many know it is easy to do with starter plants.  Nothing is more discouraging than to have beautiful healthy plants one day and droopy soggy ones the next.  Thanks to sis I have a good supply of jars and will get on this project soon. 

The chickens are set for the cold days of January and February except for their daily feed and water.  I will continue gathering eggs until mid to late February when I will attempt to get one or two of my hens to brood. Essie usually is the first to sit and hopefully she won't let me down this year. 

The wandering turkey has taken roost and calls this home.  He has been here for about 4 weeks and is not contained, so he can come and go as he pleases, but has made no effort to leave.  Still beautiful, Mr. Tom would love to get in the pen with the chickens.  He is a big eater and if not fed by 3:30 every day, he comes to the house to find me so his gullet can be filled.  Very demanding he will gobble until I come out to feed him and practically pushes me to the barn.  I heard him drum for the first time this week.  I think that was a sign of aggressiveness and impatience with my slovenness.

As always with this time of year the mood to sew has hit.  I don't have a clue what I will end up with, but my girls seem to like the Mu Mus I wear around the house, so that will definitely be one project.  I also love jumpers and aprons for little girls.  nothing dresses up a tee shirt and pair of jeans like a dressy jumper.  They are also warm and serviceable over turtlenecks paired with tights and as mothers know kids don't enjoy wearing fussy clothes even though they love to feel dressed up.  I have a tendency to sew for comfort, so in the winter it is warm and cuddly clothes and the summer calls for cool and light.  My grandson loses out on the sewing, as I have tried but fail to be able to get interested in making shirts and trousers for guys.  It is pure laziness on my part due to all the extra facings and other parts needed for the nice tailored look I so like on the male.  I guess I could make him a set of scrubs and hope he will take an interest in medicine, but for now he will have to do without.

I have noticed a trend for children to wear tights rather than knee socks.  I loved my knee socks when I was young, but I think it was because it covered my scarred and bruised legs - tomboy that I was, I kept cuts, scratches and bruises all the time.  To me the thick socks seemed warmer and were perfect with my penny loafers or oxfords, but I have to agree that tights are a bit dressier and do better under those cute little dresses and jumpers. 

What happened to cords?  It is hard to find corduroy for women and children.  They are a few trousers for men, but the trend to corduroy has gone with the wind and it is one of the warmer and more stylish of the winter fabrics.  Hopefully it will make a comeback, but I have noticed that more and more manufacturers and designers are going for the denim or knit for trousers and slacks.

I still have a stack of books to read.  Tom Clancy's Clear and Present Danger has kept me occupied this week.  Finished it last night and it was a really good read.  Clancy paints a picture with every chapter and takes the time to develop each and every character so the reader is not left to wonder as to the purpose of the character as the story line comes together.  Educational in many ways due to the detailed descriptions of actions and scenes throughout the book and his stories always make me think.  I enjoy his stories.

Must get to work so until next time  . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: