Thursday, January 20, 2011

Winter brings out my creativity.  Housebound and staying close to the fire, I have been steadily making berets for my girls.  Last night I decided to try a sun bonnet for the upcoming gardening season and I am very pleased with the results - if I could only find a way to put cool air in the crown to keep it a bit cooler.  See, we are never happy - when we are cold, we long for warmth and when we are hot, we long for cool air.  My new projects have brought me a lot of joy and I have loads of new ideas for hat projects for both summer and winter.  I also hope to make the girls some sundresses and jumpers if I can make myself get to it.  I love jumpers on little girls - plain or ruffly they are so feminine and little girly.

My grandchildren from the north finally dug out of the snow and travelled south for a visit.  We had a great time and spent some bonding time together.  I think my heart can rest now for another few weeks when they return.  It isn't only my northern grandchildren that drives me to the brink, but the two that live only 5 miles away cause my heart great turmoil when I don't get a visit for a couple of weeks.  They grow and mature so fast I feel I am missing something very important during the time we are apart.  Yes, I am addicted to being a grandmother.

The full moon was especially pretty last night.  The air was clear and crisp and the moon beams were extra sparkly.  I like to think it was due to the outpouring of love in our little community.  We lost two young girls this week, both due to tragic accidents.  For a change the people of our town expressed kindness and sympathy rather than the hateful attitudes normally displayed.  The loss of two so young is hard to understand, but God is so much wiser.  Knowing he has a plan makes the loss just a tad easier but the loss still leaves a yearning in our hearts.  I wrote earlier on how my heart aches when my grandchildren are away, but I can not fathom the thought of never seeing them again.  My thoughts and prayers have been with the family and friends of these two girls.

 We had a wood cutting party this weekend.  Some of the men and young men gathered for the felling of the trees.  The young men received valuable lessons in the proper way to split wood and everybody that had the desire had a turn.  Before the session was over, most were rather proficient at the task and we now have an abundance of wood and some travelled home with those in need.  My nephew made the comment that he had never had as much fun cutting wood, so I guess the day was a success.  Hubby says we are in for more snow or ice before the winter season is over and I have a feeling he may be correct.  I guess I should restock the freezer with soup fixings because when the weather turns bad we focus on keeping warm and feeding our tummies.

I had to threaten my parents over the icy days not to darken the door or even think about it.  They have a tendency to think they are still 30 years old and can still get around like spring chickens.  Neither can stand very well without support and cannot see more than a foot in front of them, so they were destined for disaster if they had gone out.  All went well, however, and they didn't even lose electricity.  Dad is already wanting spring to arrive so he can get to the garden.  It isn't going to happen, but it doesn't hurt to wish. More and more of his memories are of his childhood at his grandparent's home.  It is surprising what he can remember from way back when, but can't remember what he ate for lunch.  At 87 I am surprised he remembers anything. 

That about catches us up and I really need to get back to my sewing.  Thanks for dropping by and until next time . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: