Friday, June 17, 2011

Another Father's Day

I know the title sounds rather cynical which I guess I must have intended as it just seemed to type itself.  I don't mean any disrespect to any Father out there in the netherworld.  It seems to me that we are always celebrating some special day on a continuous basis.  I recently received an email that attributed all the special occasions to the "greeting card" companies to boost lagging sales.  Secretaries Day, Administrative Assistants Day, Armed Forces Day, Civic Holiday, all have a need to be celebrated and acknowledged.

I want to ask - who needs a special day to honor their father. or their mother, or their grandparents?  My grandparents are dead, but I certainly didn't need a special day to let them know I loved and treasured them.  My parents are still alive and though not in good health are able to get around a bit.  I talk to them every week, but only see them once in a while.  My relationship with my children is much like mine with my parents.  We all have life to live and goodness, don't you think your parents know how you feel about them and whether or not they were good parents?

Anyway, a good father is hard to find and I do appreciate the fact that my father was a hardworking, church going man.  I admire the fathers of my grandchildren and thank God for providing good stable men to raise these little ones. 

This is a big Thank You to all the Dad's who are struggling to make a good home and provide for the little ones.  May your day be blessed with smiles and much love!

No comments: