Friday, June 17, 2011

Cynicism Aside

I just returned from a "Help!" call from my Dad after just posting my little Father's Day piece.  Dad had "fallen and couldn't get up" and he called for company.  I should have gone for an engineering degree, but alas I only have a sometimes good daughter degree instead. 

My Dad has always been a small built man, not weighing much at all.  Several years ago he had a stroke that paralyzed his right side and left his leg and arm pretty much useless.  Being sedentary not only effected his weight, but also his psyche.  Never a man to sit still, dad now has no choice. He rests in his chair and watches the boob tube and lives in his memories.  He is now a large man and I cannot lift him.

On a real good day he can manage to get on his hover round and trek off to the garden or down the drive to the front yard where he tries to "weed eat" around the front fence.  More times than none he ends up on his bottom and has to call for help.  These times the family has learned to accept and someone is always available to get him up and back to the house.  There is no restricting my Dad and so we repeat the process so he can experience what little happiness he can get "piddling" outside.

Twice in the last month I have been called to get him up from in the house. As he will not go to the doctor we can only assume he is having some mini strokes and passing out.  Usually one of the "men folk" are close by or can turn loose and come get him up.  It is all taken in good humor and mostly he laughs it off.  I had the opportunity to spend a couple of hours with him this afternoon while he rested on the floor and we had a nice visit until someone could make it to assist.  (Friday afternoon is Mom's afternoon at the beauty shop and to visit with her friends.)

He so wanted to be back in his chair before she got home and he made it by just a few minutes.  I don't take the time to visit as I should and I know I will be sorry one day.  Not all of our conversations are pleasant, but today was a real delight and I enjoyed my visit with Dad.  Maybe I will get back over a spend more time with him, but then again most visits are not as pleasant. Spontaneity is the secret and that is never planned - it just happens.  So, Happy Father's Day Dad!

Until next time  . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: