Friday, June 17, 2011

Update on Me

Mid spring temperatures hovered daily in the low to mid 90s and the rain failed to quench the thirsty ground surrounding my drooping and withered plants.  I am so glad I followed the desires of my heart in planting an early garden as it appears those that planted later will do without.  The Roma II green beans have supplied our table with meal after meal of delicious beans with a few gallons for the freezer.  The zucchini has laughed at the lack of water and continues to burst forth with blooms and fruit.  It is has been a joy to share the abundance with friends and neighbors who are no longer able to garden or just don't have time. 

We have enjoyed radishes, tomatoes, bell peppers, red potatoes and okra to date and are looking forward to the late planted cantaloupe, watermelon, and cucumbers to grace our table soon.  Hubby has watered every other day for the last few weeks to keep the plants alive and this weeks rain was a blessing. 

It isn't even summer yet and the sweltering temperatures have kept me in the pool on a regular basis.  Even though I have had to fight the wasp with every trip, I have thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon cool offs.  The plants and grass don't have enough water in them to sustain the wasps and even though I really don't feel like sharing, the little devils insist on getting a drink the minute I splash the surface.  Wasp stings don't bother me so much, but the little ones are not happy about the fearsome stings.  Last week granddaughter number two told me it was time to get out of the water because I looked like a raisin.  Little does she realize that has absolutely nothing to do with the water - it has a lot to do with my age, but I wasn't telling her that!

Speaking of which - I really got a lift when the same granddaughter ask me on Thursday what I had done.  I ask what she meant and she says "Yesterday you looked old, but today you look young and beautiful!"  A perfect lift to my day!  Yes, I am perfectly aware that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but I can gloat for just a little while.

As most of you know I am a seamstress.  I have been sewing since I was eight or nine years old.  I started learning at my grandmother's knee on a quilt top and it has progressed over the years to one thing and then another.  The five years I worked "taking in sewing" has probably been the most fulfilling and joyful of my entire working life.  It is so fulfilling to take a flat piece of material and turn it into something useful and beautiful.  I have made my own clothes for many years and clothed my children until they learned about "labels" and refused to wear the garments I made for them.  This came to mind as a result of a most pleasant visit this week from a friend of 15 to 20 years.  I was showing her my sun bonnets and aprons which I have turned out in droves and she had the most puzzling look on her face.  I ask what was wrong and she admitted that she didn't know that I sewed.  Well, there you go!  I thought this friend know all about me and here I surprised her with a very important part of what makes me - me!  She told me I could make good money sewing for people.  I had to laugh as I had one dress hanging behind her that was in process for a neighbor and another two boxes of material waiting to be cut and sewed.  Yes, taking in sewing is a lucrative business and one I thoroughly enjoy.

In all honesty, sewing is so intricately a part of me that I guess I take it for granted.  I have gone years without picking up a needle and thread, then I start a project and another and another like I am possessed. 
It is the one job that I have undertaking that was a labor of love and joy. 

A piece of advice for all you mothers of daughters - teach them to sew!  If you don't know how, make sure they take a class in sewing either at school or at you local community recreation department. 

Closing for now so until until next time . . .

Happy Reading!
Belle

No comments: