Monday, November 30, 2009

Grandmother's Chocolate Pound Cake

This cake is so rich and so heavy and so-o-o-o good!

1/2 lb butter or margarine
1/2 cup crisco (shortening)
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
1 cup sweet milk (now known as whole milk)
3 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla

Per Grandmother Harmon's directions - Mix well adding eggs one at a time to mixture of creamed butter and additional ingredients.

How to do it - cream butter, crisco, and sugar until well mixed. Slowly add flour cocoa, baking powder and vanilla. When well blended add eggs one at a time mixing well between eggs. Bake at 350 degrees until done - usually takes about an hour.

I would like to add a note - I would pull a chair up to watch Grandmother cook. She talked to me the whole time she was working and never told me I was in the way, unless I got too close to the stove. She wrote down her recipes, but she knew I would remember the steps to putting it all together and as I typed this, I realized she was right. I felt as if I was standing in that chair watching her work and talk.

Thanks Grandma, I love you!

No comments: