Monday, November 8, 2010

No Way!

There is no way I see myself as "old".  That is why when putting all our treasures out on Friday morning for a yard sale this weekend, I jumped on the stationary bike when challenged by my granddaughter.  She was tearing up the CardioGlide, so I was trying to tear up the bike.  Every time I tried to stop, my little angel wanted just a little bit longer Nanna.  Oh what a bad mistake!  I rode like the wind and it actually felt pretty good. 

Oh my, after all the treasures were set out and I settled on the porch with a cup of coffee and a book to wait for our first customers, the knee started feeling just a mite tight.  Then I tried to stand - it didn't work!  The pain was horrendous, the knee wouldn't bend and all I could manage was a hobble.

Thank goodness for ibuprofen.  I took a couple and settled back down.  Thank goodness my daughter was there to help because I couldn't have made many trips up and down those steps nor sit in the yard with the cold wind blowing.  I hobbled and griped for the rest of the day, sure it was a temporary thing and caused by the lack of exercise. Well, here it is Monday and while I can hobble faster once I get started, the knee is still a mite swollen and tender. 

Have you looked in the mirror and wondered who the person was looking back?  In your mind do you see you as you actually look or do you see the person that was?  I don't think any of us see ourselves as we are, but as we were at a younger age.  Some days I feel almost 60 and others I feel 35.  I am learning, sometimes the hard way, that I can't do what I use to do and sometimes it is better not to try.  Am I giving in to my old age - no way!  In fact, I put the stationary bike on the porch and intend to ride every day - not a lot, but some.  I think I can limber that knee up after it gets over the shock and probably ride as long as the granddaughter by Spring.

Until next time . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

Update
I only told part of the story in the above post, so here's the rest of the tale.  On Saturday, some girls I graduated with planned a get-together.  There were several people that couldn't make it to our class reunion in June and we all really wanted to get together.  Help was coming to relieve me and to help daughter with the yard sale, so I was really looking forward to some fun and memory recall.  When the time came for me to get ready, however, I could not walk without a noticeable limp and getting in and out of a chair was impossible.  Yes, my kids laughed at me, but there was no way I was going to see the girls from school, when all I could do was limp around!  Already feeling ancient, I couldn't limp into the restaurant where everyone looks years younger than me anyway.  Vanity is silly I know, but that is what kept me from an enjoyable afternoon with old friends.  Hopefully we can all get together again and this time I will sit on my duff so I will be prepared. 

Now I have set the record straight.  Girls, forgive me for missing what I am sure was a fun time.  Let's try again soon. 

Love to all!
Belle

No comments: