Thursday, November 11, 2010

Plants

Finally, last week we had our first frost here in middle Georgia.  Summer just kept hanging on and frankly, for a change, I was very tired of it.  This week has brought another round of warm temperatures but after the weekend we should be back to the mild seasonal temperatures this area is known for. 

The temperatures changed quickly and I was "caught with my pants down" in that I had not prepared any of my plants for their transition to the inside.  Before bringing my pretties in, I like to clean the top of the dirt, add more soil if needed (we all know soil settles as it sits and when it is watered) and trim dead or damaged leaves from the plants.  Cleaning the outside of the pots always makes me feel better, too.  Well, I didn't have time for any of that to happen.  They are in, though in a cluttered fashion, and thriving well. 

I have several cuttings in process of putting on roots which will have to be potted soon.  I harvested the babies from my chandelier cactus and probably have over a hundred little ones now growing fast.  I put a layer of small gravel, followed by a layer of potting sand and topped with potting soil in a fish bowl (the 10 inch size) to start my cactus.  The little florets can be sprinkled over the top of the soil and evened out with a wooden skewer.  These thin little skewers have many uses in my indoor garden and have become my favorite tool.

I have collected many candle jars for growing my little plants.  The glass allows better viewing of the moisture content of the soil and also holds the moisture to aid in the growing process.  It means transplanting again after a month or so, but I have lost less starters with these little jars.  Once the plants get big enough for transplanting, they are much hardier and have a better chance of survival.  I have already separated some of the cacti and will get to the rest this weekend. 

Another trick I have learned is to transplant into peat cups and place in an inverted plastic tray.  I have two - one is a meat tray container from a get together.  Placing the peat cups in the top of the tray and covering provides a greenhouse effect and keeps the cups, soil, and plants from drying out in the arid climate of the house.  I can lift the whole container and place outside on the warm and sunny days for a treat for these small plants.  This has worked well for me over the years and I carry more plants to spring. 

These little plant filled jars are also great for gifting.  For plant lovers, they make the perfect hostess gift and are a great thank you gift also.  An unusual plant and one that is hard to find the chandelier cactus is perfect for someone who has everything.  I know I sound like a salesperson, but I have developed an interest in these cactus.  Each plant grows differently.  Some grow tall and slender, tall with a thick stem, some drape over the side of the container and then swoop upward, some just hang over the side - they are all unique. 

I have 7 or 8 slips from the banana trees that are thriving since coming inside.  These little beauties don't like the cold. I thought I had lost three, but on bringing them in, they have greened right up and seem sturdy.  i hope in a month I am not writing that I lost them all.  I still have to get my Sago palms in, but they can withstand short term cold.  They will come in over the weekend also, but it may mean we have to move out, as the plants are really starting to take up space. 

Thank for dropping in and until next time . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: