Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Teeth Gritting Pain

There are many causes for teeth gritting pain, but nothing can compare to the pain of gout.  Yeah, it sounds like an old fashioned ailment old men once complained about, but it is very real and very painful - - AND it doesn't just effect men.  Gout can occur in women after menopause.

Not being a doctor or connected to the medical field I can only relate what I have been told and what I have read.  Gout is caused by a high level of uric acid in the body.  I have been told that the uric acid causes small crystals to form in the joints which results in severe pain when these crystals rub against bone, tissue, and cartilage.

I have mixed feelings on how to avoid and treat because one article says gout is not caused by diet, yet the same article says that high purine foods, i.e., beef, seafood, some vegetables, beer, etc., cause a "flare up" of gout.  So, I am left to wonder if this is not another pill pushing article.  Those of you that have read some of my articles know that I hate pills and pill pushers.  If that is the only treatment, fine, let's do it; but if there is a natural way, let's take that road first. 

A close friend has been through all the prescribed medications only to get worse rather than better.  His answer to this painful malady is celery.  Two ribs of celery a day keeps the gout away!  This past weekend, hubby started experiencing severe pain in his right big toe (usually the first place gout rears its ugly head).  Overnight the condition worsened to the point of nothing could touch his toe - not the sheet on the bed or a sock on his foot.  There was redness around the joint of the toe and the pain was severe.  Hubby is not a pill taker either but was begging for ibuprofen.  Our friend happened to stop by and confirmed that hubby had all the signs of gout.  I pulled out the celery (which is definitely not one of hubby's favorites) and prepared myself to shove it down his throat if needed.  Didn't have to do a thing but mix a little sour cream and Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix together and he ate as if there were no tomorrow. 

I wish I could say it was instant relief, but it took another day of ibuprofen and several more ribs of celery.  By Sunday night, he could rest without pain and could hobble a little faster with a loose shoe on his foot.  Monday found us at the Medical Clinic where they confirmed it was gout.  He is now eating 2 - 3 ribs of celery a day and doesn't even need the ranch dressing mix to get it down. 

I can't begin to tell you what the celery has in it that works, but work it does.  I have also read that celery is good for arthritis, asthma, bronchitis, muscle spasms, and a host of other common ailments.  Long known as an effective diuretic, celery is a common vegetable readily available and simple to prepare.  I love celery.  Plain, stuffed with pimento cheese or peanut butter (which is a no no for gout sufferers), or dipped in your favorite sauce, celery is a much better alternative to pills.

I know one of the medications prescribed for gout is a poison and when taken must be closely monitored when prescribed to prevent damage to your body.  I don't want to knowingly put poison in my system.  There are some people allergic to the oils in the celery and must avoid even contact through handling.  But if you are not in this category,  eat celery!  It is nutritious, tasty, and stops pain in the big toe!

More information and uses can be found at http://www.herbs2000.com/.   

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: