Friday, September 17, 2010

Cooking On My Mind

The cooler mornings stirs my craving to start a pot of soup and something to take care of my sweet tooth.  Some delicious Broccoli and Cheese or flavorful Potato Soup would really be yummy.  I have promised Dad for two weeks a pot of vegetable soup and that would work wonders also.  The smell of onions, celery and garlic in a rich chicken broth gets the saliva flowing and comforts the mind and body.  

I discussed with my nephew this week - he is a great Paula Dean fan -  possibilities for our Thanksgiving Dinner.  He is a wonderful cook and always surprises us with his delicious creations.  I thought I might need to give him a heads up so he could start planning which dishes he would like to bring.  I know, we still have two and half months to go, but I told you these cool mornings get me going.  I can already taste the cranberry salad with the cream cheese and pecans just flowing over my taste buds and bringing a smile to my face.

I think I will bake more bread this year also.  It isn't good for the waistline, but it is a sure stress reliever and makes me happy.  There is nothing better than a good sweetbread fresh from the bread machine.  Yes, I cheat!  That machine can bring forth the same delectable aromas and the wonderful taste as my mixing and kneading ever thought about and in much less time. 

I haven't checked the pecan trees this year, but I am hoping that we have a decent crop.  Some toasted pecans drizzled with butter would be real good about now, but the time is not too far away.  The squirrels not only raped my corn feeders this year but also took every pear off three trees and got most of the plums to boot.  Anything with a seed was fair game this year for those little varmints and I intend on getting some back in the form of squirrel dumplings in the not too distant future.  They are nice and plump after a summer filled with eating. 

Well, I think it is time to start the potato soup so I will leave you with your thoughts for now.  Until next time . . .

Happy reading!
Belle

No comments: