Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Back to the Garden

Fall is almost gone and winter is about to set in. I cannot remember such a mild Fall. Here is Central Georgia we have not even had a hard frost as yet, which is really unusual. Tonight might be the turning point though as a front is moving in with cold air and lot's of rain. It will probably finish the beautiful plants off leaving the landscape stark and desolate.

Our home is on a very old home site that was unoccupied for many many years. While clearing a path through the overgrown privet hedge, honeysuckle, and swamp briers, I found loads of shrubs and flowers from the previous inhabitants. Some I could easily identify - the Forsythia hedge that still flourishes, pomegranates, crepe myrtle and many I still have not identified - and some I could not. After realizing the treasures that lay at this old home site, the clearing and cleaning went a lot slower much to the chagrin of my spouse, who cared not a whit for plant life. I would trudge along beside him and watch carefully each stroke of the mattock, hoe or shovel and scream bloody murder if I caught a glimpse of one of these old treasures. You would have thought I have found gold and to me they were.

In my email box today was a e-newsletter from Fine Gardening that was chocked full of interesting stuff. I love the Mystery Plant section. I can recognize many plants that I have thought were weeds and pulled and plunked away that had I only known with a little nourishment and maybe relocation, they would have benefited my garden with beautiful and unusual foliage and flowers. I only wish that in 1978 this had been available in such an accommodating way. I know I have sent many a treasure to the burn pile in my ignorance and lack of resources. The newsletter is free and very informational, so check it out.

I needed to share this tidbit so maybe I could help save someone else's treasure. Seeds can lay dormant for years and pop up anywhere in the yard or garden so keep your eyes open. I have a plant in one of my terrariums that just sprouted right up this week after months of sitting in that soil. Still can't identify, but I will have a better idea in the next week or so. Some unexpected plant popping up in the garden is always worth looking into - you may have a great treasure pop into your life. Surprises are the spice of life.

Happy reading!

Belle

No comments: