Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Bird Seed Shut Me Down

Are you familiar with bird seed bags? They are the absolutely greatest thought that anyone has come up with - except for maybe electricity, cars, central heat, microwaves, cell phone - well, anyway they are great! A small piece of flannel or wool sewn into a small bag then filled with bird seed. Throw these little bags in the microwave for a minute or two and you have the best heating pad ever. No up and down hot then warm, just warm flannel to ease those aches and pains. They are flexible so they bend to your body and oh the relief they bring.

Well, I was stitching up a few bird seed bags and the needle popped into three pieces - a bird seed had wiggled its way right into my top stitching line and broke. How in the world do those little tiny birds digest something so hard? As you may have read, I have just gotten my sewing machine up and running again after a 6 year dry spell, so I had no idea if there were spare needles hiding in those cabinet drawers.

The ensuing search took me down memory lane. Black lace from my daughter's prom dress, buttons from a jacket for said daughter, snaps from sunsuits, and on and on. Memories take a long time to go through, so I probably spent an hour or so going through these memories. No, it wasn't wasted time. It brought me much joy and in the process I found one needle. Not packaged as it should have been, but stuck in a piece of paper in the bottom of the drawer.

On with my project! I was relieved and anxious to finish up my project. The first problem I noticed was the thread was bunching on the backside on my material. A bad needle - no wonder it was stuck back in the drawer! Off I went in search of sewing machine needles. You would have thought I asked for the moon. No needles within 10 miles!

Today the search is on! I will find needles if I have to go to Atlanta to get them. Does anyone sew these days?

1 comment:

Jenjie said...

I order mine offline.....not as much fun as the fabric store and not an instant purchase but at least you know you will find it :) So glad you are back in the sewing world!