Monday, December 14, 2009

Winter Is Upon Us

The fog moved in last yesterday afternoon and my mind automatically kicked into the "I don't want to" mode. I don't want to go out. I don't want to go shopping. I don't want to feed the chickens. I don't want to go out to eat.

Rain, fog, cold, snow and ice are the triggers for my "I don't want to mode". I am not afraid of any of these weather conditions, it is just a comfort thing for me. Hot tea, warm soup, lap blanket, pillow and a good book or movie - my comfort mode.

It looks like I am in for a comfort winter. The rain seems to go on and on, but I won't complain. We had too many thirsty years to resent the rain now. Hope to see some snow this year, but really don't want to see the ice.

Ice is really beautiful (like the snow) for about 15 minutes. It takes that long to realize there is no water or no electricity - comfy things cease to exist until the ice starts to melt. It has taken several days afterward before electricity is back. The snow is not nearly as bad, but after an hour or so, it is just messy. No, that is why we live in a nice warm climate instead of the icy cold of our northern states.

Our northern neighbors must be much more industrious than us southerners or they were all Boy Scouts. They stay prepared for that snow and icy stuff. Here in the south we are too laid back for winter's special sports. We can mud bog any time of the year and clean up with a hose pipe. No special equipment needed either - or pickup trucks work just fine!

If the winter is as mild as our fall, we don't have anything to worry about. It is suppose to be in the low 60s today and we have hit the middle of December with only 4 frosty days to date. Sounds like spring is around the corner.

Enjoy your Holiday season and here's to wishing each and everyone of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Enjoy, but please stay safe.

Happy reading!

Belle

No comments: